Here, you can find a list of questions of Customers that we are most often asked in our daily work. We hope that you will find them helpful. If you have any other questions, please contact our local PIU Design representative or the company headquarters.
1. What are the standard dimensions of PIU Design doors?
Standards widths include: 70/80/90. Standard heights: 206, 210, 220, 230, 240, 250, 260, 270 and 280 or even higher. The standard PIU Aluminum Line also comprises “custom-made” doors, up to the ceiling or the window line. The only limitation is associated with the availability of specific heights and widths of different finishing materials which are used on door-leaves.
2. Are PIU Design doors flush with the wall?
Yes. Every PIU Design door system comes with an aluminum door frame hidden in the wall. All supplementary components, such as hinges, drop down seal and door closer, are concealed. In the PIU Design system, the door are positioned in line with the wall covered with the same material. Once the aluminum structure of the door has been covered with finishing materials, it is secured on rabbets with anodized brushed aluminum or varnished aluminum in a RAL colour.
3. When should a door with a hidden door frame be installed?
PIU Design doors are installed in 2 stages:
- door frame – is installed at the stage of construction or renovation (before finishing the walls), because the relevant components must be incorporated in the wall to produce the effect of a hidden door frame. In the case of masonry walls, installation is most often performed after the wall has been plastered, but before it has been smoothed. In the case of plasterboard walls, installation is performed before the closure of plasterboard walls around the door opening.
- depending on the type of the finishing material, the door-leaf is usually installed in the final stage of interior finishing works (assembly of furniture). We ensure full support for the recommended installation systems.
4. Are PIU Design doors rebated or non-rebated?
PIU Design are produced in a rebated system - they have a characteristic notch called rabbet (deep groove cut into the edge of the door-leaf). A rebated door fits more tightly and ensures better sound insulation, because its edges have a larger contact surface with the door frame.
5. Can the door be flush with the wall on one side (e.g. the corridor wall) and open inwards (e.g. in a bedroom)?
The PIU Design system has 2 types of door frames: one opens inwards and the other open outwards from the flush side of the wall. In the case of different opening directions (inwards and outwards), the doors have the same height on the flush side of the wall. The Aluminum Design System makes it possible to install wall-mounted materials both on doors which open inwards and on doors which open outwards.
6. How can one make a floor-to-ceiling door?
Regardless of height limitations, we can offer floor-to-ceiling doors in 2 versions:
- a door without the header (used most frequently) - the door frame consists of only 2 lateral beams without the header, so that the ceiling separating rooms is positioned at exactly the same height.
- a door with the header – we can achieve the floor-to-ceiling effect on the flush side of the wall, but inside the room the ceiling must be lower or higher than the ceiling on the flush side of the wall, depending on whether the door opens outwards or inwards.
7. Do PIU Design doors have a threshold?
PIU Design doors have no threshold – the floor in the rooms separated by the door is positioned on exactly the same level.
8. What is the best way to connect different floors in rooms separated by a flush door.
It is best to connect such floors on the flush side with an offset of 2.5 cm. The door-leaf is 5 cm thick so the offset of 2,5 cm inwards from the flush side of the wall will be perfectly aligned with the centre line of the door-leaf.
9. What is the thickness of a finishing material (prefabricated sheet) that can be used on a door with an aluminum perimeter frame?
The maximum thickness of prefabricated sheets of finishing materials is 5.5-6 mm. Non-polished materials (e.g. glass, hard stone, mirror) are usually 4 mm thick. In the case of materials that can be polished on the to-be-glued side, the maximum thickness is 5.5 mm.
10. How can one obtain a flush effect in the case of an additional wall coating?
When installing the door frame, you must know the thickness of the wall coating and all its mounting elements. For example, if the additional wall coating is 6 mm thick + 4 mm glue layer = 10 mm, the door frame must be positioned 10 mm away from the existing wall.
11. What door handles can be used with PIU Design doors?
PIU Design doors can be fitted with nearly every commercially available door handle. However, one must remember to order door handles with a longer mandrel (it is inside the door handle or a bathroom mandrel) because the door-leaf is thicker (5cm). The choice of the door handle also depends on the type of the finishing material used on the door-leaf. For example, special door handles are required for glass and sintered quartz.
12. How long does one usually have to wait for the delivery of a PIU Design door?
It usually takes about 2-3 weeks to deliver a door frame. The waiting time for the delivery of door-leaves ranges from 4 to 12 weeks, depending on the model of the door and the type of finishing materials.
13. What guarantee is provided for PIU Design doors?
PIU Design provides a full manufacturer’s warranty for the door system, i.e. an aluminum door frame, aluminum or wooden door-leaf and prefabricated sheets of finishing materials. The PIU ALU warranty is consistent with the guarantee card attached to the product and it is valid for 24 months.
14. What paint can be used on a PIU Design door?
Doors from the PIU Invisible line are intended to be painted with wall paint or covered with wallpaper, to produce the effect of “non-existent” door. We recommend using wall paints with increased resistance to abrasion and improved adhesion. In any case, however, the recommendations of the manufacturer of paint must be followed, too.
15. Do PIU Design doors have any attestations and certificates?
The PIU Design door system has obtained Technical Approval ITB NR AT-15-8588/2011 and a certificate for the hinges, acoustic certificate confirming superior sound insulation properties (35 dB), patent claims and Ei30 flammability tests for selected models.
16. What sets PIU Design doors apart from other commercially available flush doors?
The PIU Design System offers an exceptional aluminum door frame, as well as the aluminum perimeter frame of the door-leaf – Aluminum Design. The innovative structure of the door-leaf is unique, making it possible to produce a door-leaf of any height and ensuring dimensional stability up to 300cm or even higher. In addition, it is suitable for use with a variety of finishing panels. Aluminum door-leaves are lighter than commercially available wooden door-leaves and the materials used in them, such as decorative concrete, mirrors, felt, sintered quartz and many other door infill panels, are secured on rabbets with anodized brushed aluminum or varnished aluminum. However, their major distinguishing features are their quality and a wide range of patterns that have won appreciation of many interior designers.
17. In what way does PIU Design work with Architects? What materials and samples does the company have?
The company works with Architects and Interior Designers from all over the country. We provide them with access to PIU CAD files, which can be downloaded in the Architect Zone, we organize training sessions for Architects and take part in trade fairs. We supply architectural studios with our material samplers. Requests can be submitted via the Architect Zone or our Sales Office
18. Where can I buy PIU Design doors?
PIU Design is a manufacturer of door systems and it is engaged in direct sales all over the country through its Sales Office in Warsaw. Our Technical and Commercial Advisors in different regions of Poland are always available to assist Architects and Interior Designers. PIU Design products can be seen in our Showroom in Warsaw and in many architectural studios in particular regions.